Friday 15 March 2013

Sweet Potato and Yam Favorite


My favorite way to cook sweet potatoes and yams, most root vegetables actually, is roasting them in the oven. Roasting them means I don't have to do much chopping or preparation. I can throw them in the oven and go workout on our elliptical, or catch up on things around the house. Plus, they become sweeter than if you boiled them.

What I do:

Preheat the oven to 375°C. I wash the yams and sweet potatoes and cut out eyes if needed. If the ends are really skinny like these ones, I cut them off, if they are rounded, I leave them on. I find the skinny ones easier to cut with the ends off. Then I cut them in half length wise and place them face down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Like so:


Roast for 25-35 minutes depending on the size of yams. Large ones may need 45 min up to an hour. These took 30 minutes. 


I love how they get a little caramelized in spots.



I topped the sweet potatoes and yams with steamed kale & peas. For seasoning the greens I used nutritional yeast, Mrs. Dash and garlic powder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment