Friday 8 February 2013

Polenta, served two ways


Hello! Please check out my about me page if you haven't already.

I don't often meal plan. Most of the time, I just make sure I have wholesome foods in the fridge, readily adaptable for different types of meals. When my husband asked me the other night "what should we do for dinner?", I realized I didn't have much for starches in the fridge. Luckily we were at Langley Farm Market when he asked, and I happened to be looking at ready made Polenta. We decided to do a pizza for him and individual sliced polenta with toppings, for me.

We baked the polenta first, according to the package directions (without oil), on parchment. Then he made his pizza, topped with sauce, sundried tomatoes and black beans. Baking it as per the pizza crusts instructions. I kept it simple and topped my polenta slices with homemade pizza sauce (strained tomatoes, italian seasoning, garlic and onion powder) and black beans, served on a bed of spinach.

His pizza (lacking in colorful veggies, boo!):





Polenta slices:




Although we discovered the polenta needed more seasoning, it didn't stop me from having seconds, I really like this idea for a different and quick meal. Next time I'm thinking of dusting the slices with smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and garlic powder prior to baking.

Looking forward to trying out more recipes with polenta in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment